MediSure is a rapid and affordable vitamin D test used to test whether you have sufficient vitamin D in your body. It is available now at Chaparral Compounding Pharmacy – Remedy’sRx at its southeast Calgary location.
Vitamin D is important for many reasons:
- It helps the body absorb calcium, which is necessary for strong bones and teeth.
- It also helps to regulate the immune system and may reduce the risk of some types of cancer.
- There are also some studies that proved a relationship between vitamin D deficiency and depression onset.
- Can help with weight management.
Symptoms of vitamin D deficiency may include:
- Exhaustion & low energy
- Hair loss
- High or rising blood pressure (possible hypertension)
- Muscle pain
- Other symptoms
Many people do not get enough vitamin D because they spend too much time indoors and do not get enough sunlight exposure. In Alberta and Canada, in general, it is recommended that adults take 400 to 1000 IU (international units) of vitamin D per day from both food and supplements combined.
In some cases, many adults may need 2000 IU per day to achieve optimal vitamin D levels.
However, too much vitamin D can be harmful and can cause problems such as kidney stones and high blood calcium levels. Too little vitamin D can lead to osteoporosis, a condition in which bones become weak and break easily. Those with osteoporosis may need at least 800 to 2000 IU of vitamin D from both food and supplements combined.
Therefore, Calgary, Alberta, and Canadian residents need to know the vitamin D levels inside their bodies to optimize their sunlight exposure, food intake, and supplement needs.
To be able to test your vitamin D level using laboratory services, you should visit your doctor and ask for a test requisition, which could be time-consuming, especially, if you don’t have “obvious” medical signs of vitamin D deficiency.
Chaparral Compounding Pharmacy – Remedy’s Rx has a quick and easy solution to know your vitamin D levels: MediSure Rapid Test Kit.
MediSure Rapid Vitamin D Test Kit
The MediSure rapid test kit is a simple and quick way to determine if you are getting enough vitamin D. It is a blood test that measures the level of 25-hydroxyvitamin D in your blood. This is the form of vitamin D that is most commonly used to measure vitamin D levels in the body.
The test is quick and easy to do. A small blood sample is taken from a finger prick and placed on a test strip. The strip is then inserted into the MediSure device, giving a result in just 10 minutes!
The contents of the rapid test include:
- Test Casset
- Capillary Dropper
- Two Lancets
- Package Insert
- Colour Card
After performing the rapid vitamin D test, there are four possible outcomes:
- Two dark red marks at C and T: Deficient level of vitamin D in your body,
- One dark red mark at C and one dark pink mark at T: Insufficient level of vitamin D in your body,
- One dark red mark at C and one pale pink mark at T: Sufficient level of vitamin D in your body, or
- No marks at C or T: Invalid results, and the test must be repeated.
The MediSure test is reliable and affordable and is a great way to check if you are getting enough vitamin D.
MediSure costs $20 if you purchase it and use it at home, but our pharmacists at Chaparral Compounding Pharmacycan also do the test for you for $30.
Call Chaparral Compounding Pharmacy – Remedy’sRx now at 403-475-5544 to get your MediSure rapid test kit, or just drop in at our pharmacy at our southeast Calgary location at 210 – 10 Chaparral Drive SE, Calgary T2X 3R7.